4.20.2012

Meal Plan {toddler approved...depending on his mood}

I'm joining Carina and Sarah for a meal planning party.  I love cooking, but I'm a horrible planner.  I'm excited to check out some other participants' meal plans.

This is what I came up with...

Breakfast
cereal bars & yogurt.  This is the yogurt I make at home.
smoothies like this one.
cereal
toast & fruit
oatmeal & fruit

Today we had donuts and fruit.  The fruit totally balances out the cups of sugar in the donut.

Lunch {toddler version}
Most days, we have leftovers from the night before.
mac & cheese w/ broccoli
veggies, crackers and hummus
cheese quesadilla
Chick-fil-a is always a good option. :)

Dinner
kale & walnut pesto pasta - recipe below
sour cream chicken enchiladas - I used my homemade yogurt instead of sour cream.
pesto & chicken pasta soup - recipe below and 1 hour rolls
root beer bbq pulled pork
ham & spinach no-crust quiche


Kale and Walnut Pesto Pasta
adapted from real simple magazine

There is probably nothing more unappealing than green pasta, but I promise, it's good.


























1/3 c.chopped walnuts
1 bunch kale (about 12 cups)
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove
1.2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. olive oil
3/4 lb. pasta

Toast walnuts in 350 oven for about 5 minutes.

Bring salt water to a boil.  Add kale and remove after 30 seconds.  Place kale in colander to drain.  Reserve cooking water for pasta.  Squeeze dry kale when cool enough to handle.

Combine kale, parmesan, garlic, walnuts, salt and pepper in a food processor.  Slowly add olive oil while processor is still running.

Bring reserved water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.  Save 1/2 cup of cooking water.  Return to pot.  Add pesto and water as needed.

Sprinkle with walnuts and parmesan if desired.

Pesto & Chicken Pesto Pasta
adapted from tasty kitchen




1 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion
1 carrot chopped
2 cups shredded chicken
2 cups pesto pasta
2 c. water
2 1/4 c. chicken stalk
salt and pepper

Melt butter over medium heat.  Saute onion and carrot for 4-5 minutes.
Add water and chicken stalk.  Bring to a boil.
Add chicken and pesto pasta.  Simmer until heated through.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Tip:  I boil a bunch of chicken breasts at one time.  Then, I put them in my Kitchen-Aid mixer and shred the chicken using the paddle.  It shreds it pretty fine, which is perfect for a toddler.  I divide the chicken into 2 cup baggies to use for other dishes.


null

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...